Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Not So Solitary Saturday

Sunlight was filtering in through the window, buzzzzz! Shut up! I said, turning to my side, I stuffed the pillow on my head… groggily I reached out for my clock on my nightstand…7.15am!gosh! I had slept in…. I threw off my covers and was about to get off my bed when the thought struck me. Its Saturday…. no college… I slumped back and snuggled up in my blanket…. slowly the effected of sleep waned off as thoughts came thick and fast…
What just happened yesterday? Why did we fight? Then I remembered the argument we had over booze…No! No! I don’t booze…Samik had ordered his drink at Princeton, while I had settled for a fresh lime soda…. we were chit chatting when an argument broke out in front of a friend who we had tagged along…I must mention here that smoking or boozing, pubs and discs are really not my kind of fun, id rather be in a bookstore reading or at a coffee shop having a companionable time. I went along with him only because I had promised him, despite my reservations. I was so angry at the end of it, that I had walked away in a huff
Lost in my thoughts i had no clue what time it was....suddenly my bedroom door barged open...gone!i thought...now i have to get the lock of the door fixed...nothing less then a tornado whooshed in...as i snuggled deeper within the blanket seeking refuge and hoping whatever came inside would finally give up and leave me alone...but no...that was not to happen.....a tiny pair of hands found me out and yanked me out of the blanket....
get introduced to my 6yr old niece,Roshni......"get out of bed Pupu!its way past 10",not wanted to answer i pretended to sleep but she wouldn't have it....she threatened to pour cold water on me....really scared of the consequences i came out of bed finally...must mention here that my niece is the pivot around which our family revolves...her smallest of wishes [read command] doesn't go unheard.....if she proclaims that the sun hasn't come out its bound to be that way... since i wasn't particularly in a good mood today i wasn't quite as chirpy as i usually am...but she wouldn't have it...like a granny she made me sit down and talk me problems with her..."tell me your problem pupu and i ll solve it..." i suppressed my urge to laugh thinking my angel what would you know what i am worried about.."is it Samik uncle?" yes!that caught my attention..how did she know?i wondered....."you should talk to him u know..."she said matter of factly...and you should stop watching 'that's so raven' i thought and your mother must of know of this,i mentally made a note....all day went by running behind her...teaching her to paint....clicked some pics and having a soap fight while taking a bath,unnoticed my gloom got lifted and was filled with her innocence and enthusiasm...now that she has gone back home...i miss her laughter and her naughty was and grandma advices......wait is till the next weekend,when the tornado will strike again .....when roshni will come visiting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ur niece is soo cute....tejas

MeThinx said...

innocence is so precious... it can really fill our world with smiles even when shadows abound.

musings (m000nie) said...

nwephews n nieces r such pests!!... the most lovable pests in the world dont u think?... :))).. this post reminded me of hriday my nephew.. i just met him a few hours back... n i had to become a train bogie for him!!!!... n that too wearing a sari as i was out for some family function!!!

Raka said...

@moonie
hey wow!u actually were a train 4 ur nephew that too in a sari??man ure gr8...hav 2 do quite a few similiar antics myself or she ll flaunt her oh so sad pout..and not surprisingly we fall for it every single time

rohit said...

the family is always there to comfort us when we need dem... but yu know thre are time we dont want to tell our parents evrything....

but the fact that ur neice can underatnd yu so well shows teh kind of close relationship yu both have....

dont worry about the shamik issue... itll get sorted out

Raka said...

@rohit.........yeah...thankx a lot rohit for the vote of confidence...

DEEPEST DESIRE's said...

i just want to say
gulo looks very cute ... i cant get my eyes off to view what you have written ... he he he he
but hope that its nice what you have written
cu