Thursday, March 15, 2007

How Opal Mehta Got Kissed,Got Wild and Got A LIfe


I was reading this book by kavya vishwabathan,and finished it just few hours back and i must say i found the book a very amusing one....i know all that stuff about how its not worth calling it a work of literature,after all it is plagiarised one...despite all this...i enjoyed reading it and had a good laugh....the book how opal mehta got kissed,got wild and got a life is about how an Indian Desi girl of 19,has been rejected from a dream college,reason being the lack of fun,romance and actually life...so her parents go out on a damage control spree,,,get her a tailor made life,a perfect boy to kiss and a fool proof way to get a life,with the help of personal websites,flow charts,lists,endless shopping,and then a makeover that changed the life of opal for the rest of her life...a mindless popular fiction,good enough to kill time and amuse oneself...a must read for all teenager........here are the few facts i found most amusing....


"Dad sighed."Dean Anderson suggested you need some romance,''From what i've read so far.'he picked up the nearest copy of Allure,the word kiss appears eighty seven times in each magazine issue."

"Mother said,impatiently,'you said something that resonated with us.you asked "how can i get wild if we're always around,so this weekend we're going to visit aunt priya,and you can be home,throw your own little party and get wild."


after reading the book,i finally realized how lucky i was...i choose my own subjects in school,didn't consult my parents,and in fact it was they who made me take my own decisions,they rejoiced with me,respected my choices....and went along with almost every career choice i had..their never tried to plan my life for me...neither did they impose their thoughts and made me follow them...i have had a pretty much uneventful school life....i dint need to prove myself or my popularity....in more ways than one...this book has humbled me...despite various arguments i have with my mum dad..i now value them more...plagiarisms or influenced...the book is a good read and proves to be quite an entertainer...

3 comments:

disillusioned said...

ohh meeee 2222 meee toooo

Raka said...

@sohini...
:)

Cin said...

After reading your review, I must read this book. Though I am far from a teenager now... :)