Friday, August 17, 2007

I'm Loving it!!


I have loved life in its entirety.Even the hard times and good ones.When I have been down and depressed,no matter how hard it was i knew i will survive and move on and i did.from an early age took my own decisions,from choosing my subjects to my stream and then later the subject I am doing my majors in.It feels great to be independent and mature enough to do what I want and be responsible for it.Even though I maybe going through a hard time in life I knew I was studying what I loved best:literature;and its simply awesome.I may hate people around me,I may dislike going to college and wait hours in between the classes for the next class but I love what I'm studying.Yes I'm loving it!

People often
ask what is it that you will be doing studying Comparative Literature.There is no future.Why not study English instead??Its way prestigious you know??Will anyone ever hire you??You might as well forget getting married with that honors,gawd!!How pathetic can people be.You must be wondering what is the connection between a major in college and marriage??Well i ll tell you.in India or rather Bengal where I stay.If you are a convent educated female,with an honors in English then even if you have wheatish complexion and absolutely no home skills you are considered a perfect match to a doctor or an engineer.Funny isn't it?Trust me this is true!Thankfully my parents are not very conservative,who think that their daughter should be clad in salwar kameez and go to college and be back and in her second year of college,matches should be hunted and short listed and as soon as the girl graduates;wedding bells should ring and several hundred family members,who are nbot available otherwise should turn up for the big grand wedding.Thankfully,my parents are very modern and open minded or else by now I would have been taught how to do house hold chores and mom would be grooming me into a perfect Bengali house wife.phew!!

Coming back to my studies,when I hear people remarking over the subject that i am majoring in,I
calmly smile at them with a practiced cool,for I know most of them pretend to know the subject when in actuality they don't.many a times I have heard "You are studying comparative literature??thats wonderful!!by the way...what is it??"people!! people!!Such fools!! really!! Just because they have a lack of knowledge that doesn't mean the things they don't know doesn't exist or is in anyways inferior.Idiots!!Comparative Literature Department in Jadavpur University [yeah thats where i study] is the only department in whole of India to have it in B.A level, and though it may be just 50 years old its relevance and date of conception goes way back.it is the only subject where we study literature all over the world across cultures,geographical boundaries and linguistic barriers through translations.it is the only subject where Dante, Machiavelli, Kalidas, Shakespeare, Sappho, Sophocles and Rabindranath Tagore is read and appreciated with equal importance.A rich cultural and literary knowledge we carry on as legacy and heritage on in our lives.Age old classical learning does not fade away and become extinct,we keep them alive. and anyone and everyone who loves literature will love this subject.

True that in India this subject is not yet that popular and not many people know about it but those
before and after me are studying it will argue that it is undoubtedly the best subject ever to be read and studied if one has a penchant for literature.True that we don't get a job as school teachers for this subject is not there in the elementary,primary or secondary education levels but in the field of literature,media and abroad this subject thrives without almost any comparison.so next time any of you who comes up to me trying to tell me how worthless my life is gonna be.think again!! I am well versed with parts of classical literature not only of the world but I know my scriptures back home too.Moreover I get to learn the oldest language in India:Tamil.What have you learn't??

Its not a matter of who learns what?Or what is superior compared to the others its a matter of respect.Just because we don't know a thing that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it is inferior.So before judging someone or something it is important that we think before we act.We may love the thing we are associated with but then the same applies for the others too. A tad bit of respect to other fellow creatures can make world a healthy place to be in!

7 comments:

disillusioned darkling said...

tis a nice life...sp wen we want em to be sooo.....

phoenix said...

@soohini
yeah u are rite :)

KAYLEE said...

THATS NICE...........

Jeya Anand said...

I know tamil tooo...from the age of 3:D:D...

And coming to the subject...ur words are true!!A tad bit of respect to other fellow creatures can make world a healthy place to be in!

annie said...

Comparative literature..You gotta gimme some lessons on that now :) Philistines like me do need some gyaan on such interesting subjects..Hope you continue to njoi what you doin & best at.Good luck!!

Minko said...

hm...too heavy words for a moron like me, I see.

just gimme some funda on this comparative literature....i badly need it.

Qurrat said...

i still have to reead kartography.
Is it any good?