Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wings of Change

The snow has started to melt.the trees bear the first signs of summer,the emergence of the new leaf.the winter is almost over.

Amazing how life has its own little cycle.It doesn't heed to anyone.It mechanically goes about doing what it has to.It hears no pleas or requests or commands.few months back I was down and depressed and its sheer optimism and the support of closest friends that kept me going.it had been really tough but then now i realize i am over that phase.Its good to see that will the changing seasons bad phases in life has been replaced by a more pleasant one.

Today in class we had a discussion on "identity".A persons identity is variant and complex.for example,I am a student,a daughter, a girl friend, a friend so on and so forth.our identity is what is shaped by others or certain situations make us a particular way.Well actually I wondered how others can shape our personality which is directly related with our identity.What sir said was we have contradictions within ourselves,i may be a warm and friendly as a friend but i may be emotionally cold as a girl friend.when children are around age 3-4 years old they play with toys,irrespective of guns or dolls even if they are girls or boys.but with time and when they grow up "boy thing" and "girl thing" is defined,as in, it is inappropriate for a boy to play with dolls or girls have to groom themselves or cover themselves.these are rules that are enforced on us which with time becomes a part of us and our identity.

The next thing discussed was how a particular violent situation shapes the identity of a person.here sir said that only a very violent incident can change a person's identity.I however beg to differ.A life changing incident is relative,it is however different for different people.for me loosing a friend can be such a big deal that i may change and for a victim of rape,rape can be a life changing incident.

The point I am making here is,i faced quite a bit in life.I have tried to learn from my mistakes.and i have changed myself accordingly.however i have never paused to think if this change has got to do with my evolving identity.but to days discussion has triggered a lot of conflicting thoughts within me.has situations changed me?or have people done it?and if there is a change then my identity as a person must have changed too.if it has then what is it?until i untangle the knots with me and analyze myself I wont have the peace of mind.hope this post gives you something to think too.

10 comments:

Sunshine gal said...

ah Food for Thought...Quite an interesting piece..md me think..but my brains too tired 2 work out anythin..So i will get bck 2 U later with my theorisations...Till then keep Writing...:D

KAYLEE said...

GREAT POST I THOUGHT ALOT READING THAT:)

KAYLEE said...

:)

phoenix said...

@ipsy do come back...need your valuable comments

@kaylee
heheh :)

Drama Div@ said...

You are what you think you are...

phoenix said...

@drama diva
hmm well after the discussion i found out i maybe wrong thinking who i am....difference of perceptions you see..very confusing :P

Abhishek Khanna said...

hmm.. it certainly created a havoc in my thinktank

phoenix said...

@abhisek
:)

Sunshine gal said...

See what i figured out was this:
Firstly, people and situations go hand in hand...often people create situations and obviously these things shape your identity..In fact it should, for you need to react to situations in order to be able to handle them.
Secondly, change is desirable and change is Good- One needs to learn, adapt and move on in Life, cherishing the Good Times and Learning from the bad ones- So nothing goes in vain. And if one is unreceptive and unwilling to change then they will meet the same Fate as the dinosaurs did!!!!!!!Now did i make any sense????

phoenix said...

@ipsy
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah you did