Tuesday, June 03, 2008

So finally the dreaded anniversary is over and now I can afford to heave a sigh of relief. Getting a gift for a guy can be tough. The options are minimal. The same shirts, or perfumes and deo’s, watch. Whereas gift items for girls are abundant, one can go on and on. And if you are in a relationship as long as I am, with Valentines Day, birthday, anniversary, pujas, and Christmas coming every year without fail. Things can get tricky.

The mere thought of shopping of gift ideas seems to weigh me down months before I even have to go out to shop. I like to think of myself as a sensible shopper but I need someone to accompany me or I am so down and out and will probably never venture out. so if its not Samik then it has to be Ipsy I will go shopping. As a shooping companion Ipsy is just perfect. She wouldn’t mind walking hours, going various places all at once if only to get the perfect pair of “white shoes” she so needs wear with a particular outfit of hers. So it is a treat to go shopping as you are never in a hurry to get your work done.

Since it was Samik’s birthday, and I had to buy him something. We both started racking our brains weeks before. Ideas were exchanged over sms’s way past midnight. Options were weighed and thought over. And when the day came, ipsy and met up in the metro station and we rechecked ‘what to buy’ list and set off. We went all over the city crawling to each corner and finally after a whole day of stress we returned home barely managing to stand up straight. But ho ho ho! The shirt I bought Samik was a size too big. Had got dad a shirt too, the same size. [since both have similar structure] now the problem was going back and getting ti changed. And I was dreading going back alone and I wasn’t even sure if id be able to find the shop out alone.

Mom then dropped an idea to tag dad along to get the shirts changed. But hell! How was I supposed to get Samik’s shirt changed with dad? It looked so weird and I’m not all that free with my dad and this would be terribly embarrassing. And my nightmare came alive. Luckily they had a size small for dad’s shirt and when I took out samik’s shirt sneakily they made a hue and cry over it. Saying they dint have a size small and repeatedly asked me what Samik’s body type was, whether he was broad or tall. And dad being present, I was feeling smaller by the minute. All I wanted to do was disappear. Dad seeing my obvious discomfort went ahead; describing Samik’s body type and what colors would suit him since I couldn’t get the black shirt I had chosen initially. Phew! The sales man in that shop were incorrigible and way beyond my imagination, they ahd left no stone unturned to embarrass me.

If this wasn’t enough the book I bought for Samik [Chetan Bhagat’s ‘My 3 mistakes] was firstly not easily available. And Samik suddenly developed a new love for reading. And having devoured the first two books of Bhagat he wanted the new one too. I had to lie left right and centre to convince him that the book was indeed out of print and that it would come back in print only after the first week of June. God! What not we have to do to make the day special for the duffer boyfriends that we have to out up with :) and guess what? The blessed boy friend I have for the last four years didn’t appreciate the goody bag I had prepared and instead made me feel extremely silly about myself. So I in turn wrecked our anniversary eve that we were supposed to celebrate by fighting over a petty issue and not going out at all. Thus I took my revenge :P

3 comments:

Sunshine gal said...

Revengeful Girlfriend and Sarcastic Friend...hehehe..i loved the post...it was really funny...da way u described my shopping idiosyncracy...LOLzzzy...

little boxes said...

shotyi...
guys can be so difficult at times!!

Abhishek Khanna said...

lollllllz