Monday, October 13, 2008

Social Menace part 3

i had to travel a long distance in a yet another jam packed bus to go to a job interview. what i had to experience was horrendous... just imagine the lady standing right behind me was digging her nose and wiping her fingers on the rod she was holding to stand up? not just that she was stinking. gawd! and moreover she was talking to her friend in the loudest of voices, about some master she works for and his habits and his conjugal relationship with his wife.

somewhere a young boy was talking to his friend about what happened that day at the tuition's that his friend had missed; the topic was for all to hear, what is the best strategy to make the girl agree to date him.there was an elaborate discussion with peels of laughter and mirth for everyone to hear as the bus was stuck in a jam. then a strange looking mad man got up, and started broadcasting his own news channel with personal inputs. no this is not the end to my woes today. but there was more to come.

two women in their late 50's got up in the bus and one literally hung on to me while the other merely leaned against me to stand. my hands were already paining from all the strain of standing for a long time and then to manage such people. then there was this guy who wouldn't budge from a ladies seat to allow a lady to sit down! god! the conductor had to tell him to get up only then did he get up that too he kept on abusing and arguing. as the crowd cleared somewhat the man sitting opposite to me became visible, i almost immediately wished this didn't happen. the man was spitting on his shirt more than outside the window and mind you he was scratching his crotch merely in full public view..yewww!!!

i wonder why people don't develop some simple civic sense. personal hygiene should come to all and also we should be aware if we are being the cause of inconvenience to anyone.

13 comments:

•♥•♥[V]♥•♥• said...

your post took me back two years
i remember at that time in delhi .i was on a bus on my way to noida .

here's what happened(in brief)
after standing 10 minutes i get a seat.a beautiful(read super hot) girl talking on her cell enters the bus there ain't an empty seat .She stands close to me..very very close..rubbing her thigh on my shoulder..i was like wtf is happening here vicky??
i looked up and she looked at me and smiled.. and i knew immediately that she wants my seat.
after a minute of repeating the up-down and left-right motion with her thighs she asked hi handsome can i have your seat for 10 minutes...and me...i said.."oh sure"
she reached her stop after 10 minutes and left her seat for me only..and said love you for this.
it was a funny kind of experience for me.
i had a story to tell when i reached my friends room that day.

Keshi said...

lol I wrote a similar post abt Nose-diggers awhile bak. yukkk! ppl who lack manners turn me off big time!

Sometimes I hv told em off on their face.


Keshi.

Priya Joyce said...

I see lack of civic sense in every nook and corner of the place I liv in..ppl juss don't care u see!!

Tara said...

So true Raka! I see it happening everywhere! Utter lack of civic sense :(

Shouting while talking (C'mon the other person can hear you even if you speak a little softly!), scratching (eww...that is gross!), parking your cars just anywhere, spitting on the road (who cares attitude!), the indecency in buses, and the worst of all, using swear words at the drop of a hat! (its not cool to use swear words, especially when there's no need for it!)

Well, the best we can do is not be like them. Hope, they learn their lessons.

mayz said...

oh i have experienced this a lot of times in delhi buses....its disgustin

thou have neva experienced wat happened wid vicky :O :O

Ria said...

Gosh u had a tough time gurl!!i hate ppl who lack civic sense. Alas this is inevitable in a country like india where ppl jus dont know how to behave themselves in public. :(

Ria said...

And hey y hav u stopped visiting my blog?? :( :(

Vinz aka Vinu said...

Does your silence change anything..!!you should have protested that guy who were spitting outside..!!

:)

Aneesh said...

You do have a nice observation talent LOL.
So, finally I met someone who have experience similar to me.. Hi Hi

phoenix said...

@vicky
*whistles*

sexy girl huh? luck you... lol!

@keshi
strange fate we people have to face each day na? god!

@pj
i just hope against hope that some miracle happens and people start caring...

@tara
world thrives on hope you see... :P i guess we have to wait till eternity to see people learn to behave themselves :P

@mays
jealous of vickey eh???:P

@ria
tough time! tell me about it..
have i stopped visiting?soo sorry babes will be more regular promise...

@vinu
i would have surely spoken up but in a place like india if you raise ur voice it brings a lot on ur own plate..people wont support you but will make life miserable..and trust me most dont even notice these things..they are so used to it that my protesting would have seemed trivial..but im doing what i can do..spreading awareness of some manners and civic sense... :)

@aneesh
when i first started reading ur blog this is what i had noticed too :)

we must have been bro-sis who got lost in kubh ka melaa....

bhaiyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

Buzzz said...

hahaha, i must imagine tht u were taken aback and have said nahiiiiiiiiiiiiii every time when u saw those horrible experiences.....

dnt u ? and then u thot why dint u go by a 2 wheeler ?

social civic sense is distant dream in india and its futile on our part to exxpect it!!

phoenix said...

@buzz
u are bang on! nahiii was seriously on my mind

and having my own transport was a tempting offer too but in this patriarcal society men dont take kindly to women drivers you know....

and life thrives on hope dear so no giving up on it

Aneesh said...

Hi Hi, samche behanjiiiiiiii
:)