Saturday, October 11, 2008

This week that was

This last week of pujas was very eventful to say the least. There were a few points that really made my pujas an enriching experience. Gloom, sadness and despair were close at hand but it could never dampen my mood which with vengeance I tried to remain gloom free for this was my last pujas in Calcutta. Next year I will be miles away from hom, with probably no leave. So I was determined to have the time of my life and I did.

What struck me during the pujas was, how people, irrespective of the kind of problems they face, the kind of life they lead otherwise, try and put on their best clothes and their best spirit to enjoy and celebrate the pujas with great fanfare. There were smiles even on those millions of policemen who sacrificed their holidays to manage the ocean of people out on the streets, during the festive occasion being away from their own families who need them. Calcutta police and the Civic Police did a splendid job manning the traffic!

My mind was the seat of contradicting thoughts and emotions. I wished and prayed that this is my last puja here [so that I can pursue my dream career outside the city] and on the other hand it hurt me even to imagine that I will have to stay away from an occasion that is now an integral part of our being. Pujas are no longer just a festive occasion, it’s a hope where people want to be in their best to enjoy before the lights are being taken off, pandals are dismantled and life comes back to haunt. I am not a religious person but pujas are something that makes one out of me; the ashtami anjali, the sandhi pujo, the dakhi, boron and sindur khela...

I spent a day with samik’s folks this pujas. And it felt great. I met his jiju for the first time and he was a perfect gentleman. He immediately put me in ease. And it was worth everything to see mohor play with her dad whom she had met after months. No one could tear her away from jiju. And the whole scene was heart rending to the core. I felt welcomed and very much a part of what was a tempting possibility, but I have to hold on to my ambitions and dreams of a career, and then being a part of this dream will be a reality too.

Another great event that occurred was a high school reunion with school buddies after 5 long years. Almost everyone had changed. Everyone looked more mature and ladylike unlike what were in school.Most of us met up. Sangita, ria, priyam, Natasha, anna, sayanti, srimoyee all turned up. And the best part was that despite having several issues in school, and being adamant not to turn up and face the people whom they had issues with, my friends irrespective of what had happened before, met up and decided to have the time of our lives. It was heart wrenching to see the initial group of friends reunite as if time has not been lost. As if there were no issues and it was perfectly normal to smile and hug each other as if the next moment would prove fatal. Laughter and giggles were the order of the day along with loads of yelling and a lot of excited news of those whom we used to know. We were all sorry it had to end this way but we had to leave. With the blink of an eye almost 5 hours had gone by. Soon it was time to leave but we all promised to make this an annual event! Phew! It was an awesome day! :D

Samik and I spent quite a time together, more than what we had anticipated. But most was lost in bickering. Our first formal dinner date was good but not so memorable. But I was atleast happy that I could be with someone I love the most and what to be with because pujo is no pujo without him. So alls well that ends well.

Pictures of pujo, reunion with friends, samik’s family are all to be found in a few moments in my photoblog known as the kaleidoscope of memories. Do crop in comments telling me what you think of them. I hope you all had an enriching festive time!

13 comments:

Priya Joyce said...

hey u seem to hav njoyed the pujas and ye if its destined then yes by the next pujas u mite be in sum other city..
and hey the pics were cool

the pics on the high school reunion were cool too.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Hey quite a week sweetie..i did check out the photoblog and they hve come out relly well and wallah u two relly look well no matter b it pujo or not ;) Happy pujos and Shubho Bijoya as well..hve added u as well...and if posible can meet up sometime as well :)

phoenix said...

@priya
thanks a ton :)
i took them specially for my blogger friends....


@the mad orchid
yup will meet you in person too..over coffee for sure...

*BLUSH* *BLUSH* thank you :P

Buzzz said...

hey thats what festivities do to u...make u forget all the problems of world n get u to the festivities...

seemed to have grt time and though it had a reason of may be the last pujos in Kolkata, but then u njoyed it.......

In the end thats hat matters....be urself!!!

Aneesh said...

so, you had a great time..
Hope that lifts your spirits...
:)

Ria said...

he he glad tht u had a good puja. And yes festivals are far more worthwhile when we are with our loved ones. :)

Tara said...

Hey Raka! I am glad you are back! The photos were lovely, we could actually feel the festivity and happiness in the air! Your appreciation of the police was also really sweet, something not many people remember to thank! This is the time to forgive and forget, make new beginnings and be happy and cheerful :)

Cheers
Tara

ANWESA said...

lovely post.its quite natural 2 miss d hometown puja.the skul get-2gether was cool.fun.all ur pics were cute...

phoenix said...

@buzz
yup thats the whole point...so what if this is my last pujas here im a bond the pujas are in my blood :)

@aneesh
yup spirits are high

@ria
true :)

@tara
:D thank you

@anwesha
im glad you liked the pics :)

Vinz aka Vinu said...

great..so enjoyed the pooja days..!!

no pic updates on pooja's..?

:)

ceedy said...

Cherish these moments....

glad you had a good time

KAYLEE said...

LOvely miss you too :(

•♥•♥[V]♥•♥• said...

nice pics there.
Having fun eh?

best of wishes