Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wedding Party Woes!

I went to a wedding reception yesterday. it was my dad's friend's son's wedding. so it was kind of a family affair and on no acount could i refuse to go or give a slip as i usually do. my fears and apprehension are genuine,the comments of relatives and acquaintances really bothers me because it is almost as always on me getting married. my fears just got confirmed; when an aunty came up to my mom and said "ki go ruby di? meye akhon ki korchey? or kono chobi thakle dio.. oi je America theke oi je... akta patro achey........" [ ruby di, what is your daughter doing these days? send me her pic for that American guy i was talking about..." ] my face hardened and i was prepared to give the lady a taste of her own medicine when mom signalled me to keep my cool.

An invitee in the wedding was staring at me all evening. he was a man in his 50's, he later ensured that his wife joins in. it was only later i came to know he was inquiring to my mom what i was doing in life etc...

Another man, my dad's friend; went as far as to tell me, so you are completing college right? so will dad ensure you study or has he looked for a man yet? the moment i said both my dad and i will ensure that i study, his face clouded. he told my dad that he should treat me like a girl should and start looking for a groom.

Why do people worry about if or not others children are married and settled. cant they mind their own business? i have read about some similar experiences in my other bloggers friends blog but probably i could never gauge their plight. but now i do. isnt marraige about two people who are compatible and in love? and just who determines when is the right time to get married. im 21 and im having to face such a torture i wonder what will happen as the years proceed.marriage talks always makes me feel like an object, as if i am some old transistor that needs to me married off. i will marry if and when i am ready and not because someone thinks it is time to do it or i ought to do it. damn these social nuisance who think its on them to do good! and damn these arranged marriages and these pimps of a matchers!! hmmph!

27 comments:

ANWESA said...

i'm d 1st 1 2de..well,its actually an awkward situation.21 n plans of marraige???weird!!arranged marraiges r not dat horrendous i feel,but one must b an "adult" 2 make a wedding work.as for d "middle-men" of wedding business,
forget abt dem.

dil ki pyar said...

hmmm...!!!i know how much these tals irritate girls....wat do these people think of the?? as you said, why dont they care about their own business..???

but i think we are all social animals and our feelings are not what are important 2 any1 in the world but what is important is something that we never think about...

but wat do we o dear...!!!it is our fate that we ae born this way...!!

all the best for your shaadi...he he he

Pranav Kumar V said...

being a man saves you from this ONE thing at least!! At least where we live!! :P Damn all those who poke their nose into others marriage affairs. If someone talks about any such crap about the one, elder cousin sister of mine, I just go and instigate my elder brother with all that crap that I heard. He screws em' up real bad when someone talks of girls as 'objects'!! Then, I sit back and watch the 'tamasha' :P Smart ain't I??

See you when I see you... :)

Richa said...

hehehe..

sorry dude!!

but i really csant help laughing on myself!!

welcome to the club :D

for more deatils check out my blog

Hemanth Potluri said...

no idea :P...

urs..hemu..

Harshita said...

thats my life-story these days...

My sympathies with you, gal...

Chriz said...

you are lucky that people are actually talking abt marriage to you.. in my case, no one talks and its such a boring life.. btw this is my last day in the blog world.. check my LAST post

Jimmy said...

hmmmmmmmm its a very nice post here keep it up



Site Daily Update

visit my site its a very nice Site and link forward 2 all friends

shayari,jokes,recipes and much more so visit

http://www.discobhangra.com/shayari/

Tara said...

21? And marriage? NO! I can't quite relate to this topic, am too young now. But I see people in my family doing it to others all the time. Really why can't they mind their own business? Guess, they are doing "social service", so totally charity minded...LOL!

Mithe said...

Oh my God-ask me! Being the eldest in the family is no fun I can tell you. I face the same situation everywhere...it is annoying. I think it is common everywhere in India. You know, I have stopped going to weddings for this simple reason that I will come back with my mood off...(lolzzz). Its ok, we need to plough on!!(lol) But I do pray that you get everything you want in life. Marriage is going to happen but I pray that it happens for you as and when you want it:)) May God Bless you

vanilla sky said...

This must be really irritating for you

Priya Joyce said...

irritating...yet sum joy in tat too..kindaaa
:)

Aneesh said...

MMmmm Yup! I guess it's a formality to ask about marriage when someone's above twenty. Anyway why should we let others spoil our fun. Let them say what they want, that's not gonna change a thing, does it?
:)

Phoenix said...

@anwesa
yup thats y i am so vexed at 21 its like this what will happen when im 25??
*shudder*

Phoenix said...

@yamini
lol! girl im not getting married before 2011... when i do u r invited!! :D

Phoenix said...

@pk
what a brat you are god! thank god u r not my bro! :P

Phoenix said...

@richa
when i was writing this i was reminded of the first post that i read in ur blog... understand ur plight now :)

Phoenix said...

@hemz
:D as usual :P

Phoenix said...

@harshita
i knew of all the people for sure,that you would understand me...

Phoenix said...

@chris

:P

will miss u... :(

Phoenix said...

@jimmy
thanks :)

Phoenix said...

@tara
lol! charity is it? at my expense? :(

Phoenix said...

@mithe
ohhh! i soo understand.. i too avoid weddings like plague

Phoenix said...

@vanilla sky
irritating is hardly the word!

Phoenix said...

@pj
to be honest yea there is a secret joy.. and excitement.. mom is like now toh u r here for a few more years.. a part of me wants to run but its an exciting thing too :)

Phoenix said...

@aneesh
right but it bothers if someone keeps making you feel like an object and u ll understand if only u r a girl and not a guy...

lukkydivz said...

hahaha!! seedhe mooh pe bol deti yeh sab :P