Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rainy .....

Despite the sweat trickling down my face and my neck, despite the sun burning my skin, despite being tanned shades darker, do you know why Kolkata is the best in summers?? and why i simply and totally love the summers in spite of the soaring mercury?

Well no prizes for guessing its because of the rains... in Kolkata we haveNorwester called Kalboishakhi.. storm clouds darken the skies in the late evenings.. there is a storm, with cool cool breeze that almost wipes off the fatigue of the day, its such that it makes sweeps you off your feet and makes you forget the heat and humidity that made the day such an impossible one.. soon after dusk it rains hard for a spell and two and then its over, making the whole atmosphere much cooler, and with the breeze ensuring it remains so.. the nights sleep are assured to be good. but these rains are not the marathon ones which goes on for days, just those which pops up for sometime and then goes away. at times there are hail storms too and those are one helluva an experience.you just have to be here to experience it, its simply too good an experience to explain.

Last year a few friends from my locality called me up on a tremendously rainy day asking me if i was free, knowing that i was free i was ordered to change into shorts and tee. doing as i was asked, i stood waiting for my friends, i saw them wading through knee deep water waving frantically at me.. soon i joined them and together the three of us went almost swimming through the dirty water, with shoes floating .. young boys trying to catch fish[yeah there were fishes because we have a lake nearby which flooded its banks a little] and there we were out to survey our locality, of course we were eye candy, people stared at us thinking us to be mad. we sailed paper boats and went in search of a nearby chai shop which obviously wasn't opened because we three were the only mad ones out...nonetheless it was amazing... it was rather cold and wading through the cold water made our feet numb, but then chatting away to glory with friends reliving the times spent as kids is the ultimate bliss... it felt like old times when as kids we would purposely get out of home just to sail paper boats and splash about. rains always remind me of pleasant things... it has a magical effect on me.. and i so love the rains!!

Yeah this is yet another rain induced post but i just cant help it.. its just that it rained three days in a row, which made me really happy from inside, something which i was in look out for since a long time, at a time when I'm really caught up with tons of work and tensions and fear. it has been raining bad things at my end but these rare moments of happiness and smiles are like a much needed respite.

On graver issues.. one of the two friends with whom i have grown up and about whom i spoke about a little earlier, just informed me that her mother is suffering from crevical cancer. its a blow not only to my friend but to me too. her mother is like a mother to me too, all three of us have spent our prime together and its really a tremendous shock! here's wishing Kakima recovers from this grave ailment... and may god give us strength to bear this cross bravely...


On a lighter note.. its Uncle's birthday... [Richa's Dad] here's wishing you uncle A Very Happy Birthday!! :)

Moreover, the last two months i had just lost touch with 'me' and my blogging suffered. i wanted to write but couldn't hence the sloppy posts and frequent tags. i don't know why but i feel good despite everything falling apart around me. the comment segment of my blog and the new friends make me feel happier and encourage me to write. yes i feel sane and happy that i seem to have found my flair back.. phew!! :D *grins*

Tests , tests and more tests are coming my way... so yes that's screwing me big time but then to think just 16 days to go before my college days ends.. keeps me happy and gay :) yippee!!

Btw i started this post just for Anwesa to perk up her mood and it was her demand to read a rain post but i ended it up as yet another of my rants.. so sorry Anne.. don't mind.. I'm just not in my elements as of now... but will be back with a better post next time.. promise... :)

30 comments:

ANWESA said...

thanx dear!!i luvd d madness u spoke of.hope ur frnd's mom recovers soon.n a very happy b'de 2 uncle!!lots of luv 4 standing by me..

Phoenix said...

@anwesa
:)

im always there for you.. try me :)

Dhanya said...

Happy kalboishakhi! I hope I got that right.. spent some time memorizing it :P hahah.. if I happen to visit kolkata , now I will make sure I will do it during this particular time of the year... thanks for the info Raka :)

Hope your friend's mom gets well soon... and best wishes to Richa's uncle!!!

Harshita said...

Hmm.... I felt as if I was just there watching it rain and seeing all those kids playing with paper boats... :) It is so beautifully described in ur post.

:) Richa ke dad ko meri taraf se bhi happy bday...

I will pray for your frenz mom... I am sure she'll be fine soon.

U enjoy the rain and keep smiling...

MultiMenon said...

Happy kalboishakhi! Its been raining for long here,I ges.. :) U've got cool ides up in store for the rains ahead.. rock on gal.. :)

Happy birthday uncle ji.. :)

Nikhil

Chronicwriter said...

there comes the rain and asmile back on ur face,... :)

loved the song once again in the background

www.chronicwriter.com

Priya Joyce said...

ahaaaa rains I juss love them......

hey nice description of some things..reely liked some out thre....

It took me to a ride...my God It took me to a romantikk ride...:P:P

nice post re....it reely makes ma feelings float

happy budday to richa's DAD...

my sincere prayers for ur frnd's mum
:)

americanising desi said...

it doesnt rain here much,
but you poured it on me :)

Soumya said...

A finely drawn picture of anything and everything that surrounds this Kalboisakhi we (kolkatans) so love.

The emotional touches and real tales were just the perfect blend.

God bless all :)

Lena said...

loved how you pictured rain.. :)
too sad to hear about your friend's mom's cancer.. hope the prayers will at least help :)

loved your ramblings actually... maybe because they are so natural :)

ki said...

Hope your friend's mom gets better, wishing Richa's dad a very happy birthday. And I loved your post. :)

Jinxed Pixie said...

wow, we've just found another connection!
i just adore the rain..

Meera said...

oh rain is always good:)
Been in kolkata for 5 years...i know...such a lovely place!

яノςんム said...

i so love rains babes.. i told u :D
but in amritsar, we dont have much rains during monsoons. climatic conditions are extreme here.. freezing winters, bone scorching summers and rainless monsoons.
but it do rains sometimes on and off around feb and sept/ oct :D
but it i fun to enjoy. whether i get a chance to get wet or not, rains are always refreshing :D

and sorry to know about ur kakima. my prayers for her getting well soon..

and thnx from dad.. ths lovely of u :D

яノςんム said...

@ Dhanya, its my dad not uncle :D thnx girl anyways..

@ Harshi, Multimenon, Priya, Ki
thnx guys loadz... :)

@ Raka
Hugz babes for u got so many wishes for my dad.. love ya.. mwaaaahhhh..

oo7 said...

you know who loves the rains the most...??

will try to be regular...


tc

Phoenix said...

@dhanya

be ware because it can be hot humid and extremely sultry at this time of the year!! :)

and its not richa's uncle but ours.. its richa's dad i was talking about..

Phoenix said...

@harshita
aa ja kolkata mein sab ak sath ho jayga.. :) tu bas aa ja

Phoenix said...

@nikhil..

cool ideas.. come here i ll put some into application with you :P lol!

Phoenix said...

@chris
thank you :)

Phoenix said...

@pj

thanks a ton for your warm wishes.. im so glad you are finally back in full form!!

Phoenix said...

@americanising desi

:)

btw i soo love your display pic :)

Phoenix said...

@soumya

ya absolutely

and thanks for all the praises i hardly deserve it..

keep visiting :)

Phoenix said...

@lena

aww im so thrilled!! coming from you means much :)

Phoenix said...

@ki

thanks a ton! :)

Phoenix said...

@punya

*same pinch* :)

Phoenix said...

@meera

:) yeah..

Phoenix said...

@richa

oye thanks na bol yaar..apkey pappa mere bhi kuch lagtey hain na... :)

Phoenix said...

@vickram

i know you are the rainy boy :) i remember!! :)

Arnab Majumdar said...

First up, sorry for the extremely late comment. My exams were on, that's why hadn't been able to keep up with the blog world. Now since my exams are somewhat on hold, I'm back!

Kolkata rains, they really are brilliant. I remember last time I went there, it rained just the way you described... and I remember, I was sleeping one night on the terrace, in the cool breeze, and I fell asleep... to be woken up by the rain! The pillows, the mattresses, and me... all got wet. Still, it was great fun :D

Keep writing, wouldn't mind more rain posts. Cheers...