Saturday, April 18, 2009

My College Days 2

I was a prefect in my school for four consecutive years. i was the vice house captain in class 9 and then the house captain in class 10 [yellow house or Vivekananda house] all through voting. in class 11 and 12 i became the prefect, to put it modestly i was popular amongst my peers as well as juniors. event organizing or house meetings, thinking strategies or practicing for house matches i was there everywhere. maybe that's why college seemed to me as a huge leap, a step into the big bad world.

when i first started looking forward to college i always knew i would get into St Xavier's. after all it was our brother school, i had the qualification and the state level rower tag and several other activities under my belt; why on earth would i be rejected? i was confident and hopeful. but my hopes was dashed into a million pieces when i saw i wasn't featured anywhere on the list and the Principal of the college flung my extra curricular activities [some 40 odd certificates in different field] claiming them to be utter rubbish and asked me to furnish certificates of things i did in the last two years of my life. that was the most discouraging moment of my life, i have never felt disillusioned, broken and completely defeated before like this before. my confidence was shattered. it took a while for me to recover and it wasn't until i got through to JU.

My father is an ex student of JU, and i have grown up with the stories of JU but strangely i never developed a keen interest to join my dad's college to maintain the legacy. in fact JU was one of my last options despite it being the best in Kolkata. the day i went to pick up the forms for JU, i fell in love with the lush gardens, friendly seniors, open spaces and the huge campus. it was then i realized my calling. Yes, mass communication may have been a dream but studying literature has been a passion i had nurtured ever since i could remember. i finally found hope in the darkest hour of my life, and from the shattered dream was born a new me.

the reason why JU is simply the best is because you have the freedom to be just you. whether straight, gay or bisexual people confidently flaunt their sexuality, keeping aside gender bias girls and guys are treated equally not just by the management but also by students, gender bias has not really come to my notice, girls and guys smoke alike without the glares of moral police. to be honest i got lost in the vast campus and the vibrant people. from the popular girl in school i became the shy, and unknown girl, it was scary so i choose to look for dark corners to hide now and then. it took awhile to open up but somehow i could never establish the familiarity with the campus that i could once associate with my school. and to add to my woes, i joined Ju with the committed tag.. and that cost me some very potential boy friends who now remain but as friends!!can you beat that? lol! :P

my favorite hangouts in campus were varied, specially in different phases in college. in the first semester when Shubhankar and i were inseparable, we and some other friends including Rohit would hang out in what is known as the jheel par [a small lake] then Shubhankar and i fell apart, i had a new set of friends and we used to hang out in the BBC[ the basket ball court] after classes and just lie there for hours altogether. during daytime we would hang out in a place called gol [a round bench around a tree] the ledge has of course been a favorite throughout for all batches, Shubhankar and i would often sit on the ledge studying and exchanging notes, it was also a witness to the numerous fights we used to have :). later when i became much more studious and serious my hideout used to be the DL[departmental library] in the comforts of the AC and away from prying eyes there i would spend my afternoons.we have around 6-7 canteens in our college, and i have frequented almost all of them except the E-faculty ones [engineering people frequent there] because they are rowdy and rather intimidating and they ogle you like anything.. after all to them people from the arts faculty are big shot hots and prized possessions, specially since they seem to have droughts of female population :P lol! Milon da's canteen remains the most popular of all canteens however no one can equal the coffee found in the AC canteen!!phew!! after Shubhankar and i patched up, the back lanes of JU became our utopia, away from prying eyes and gossip mongers there we rebuilt our friendship.

sigh! i don't know about the people but i will surely miss the campus and the ambiance of JU. there is an old Bengal feel to it. i got in touch with my roots, this is the first time i started talking fluently in my mother tongue, my convent upbringing really handicapped in speaking Bengali. Ju for the first time gave me Bengali friends and through them i savoured Bangaliana. Ju is the one place where you are you, and you are not really judged by the background you come from, or the clothes you wear or the people you move around with. the motto of campus life in JU is live and let live and if you have attitude flaunt it. its been an enriching experience here, a place which will always be remembered as a benchmark in my life, where i actually outgrew the protected life i lived during my school life and entered the adult world with its responsibilities and its spiteful and vicious claws. as i step over the threshold i carry but the good memories as unhappy ones and the distasteful ones are left behind buried in what will soon be my past.

i cant believe i have grown up enough to finish college. i still consider myself a school kid.
you know what? when i was in class 3 once while doing maths i thought id just study till class 12 because i was finding doing maths tough. in class 12 i knew id just finish graduation and further studies wouldn't even be an option, and here i am almost a graduate and i crave to study more.. :) weird na??

2 more working days to go! woohooo!!! :)

18 comments:

Diya said...

Wow,Me first :)
Yeah, JU Rocks and so does its ambiance... It`s JU JU and JU alone, still hope you move much much much forward in life with JU giving you the firm roots to cherish onto always :)
Yours Truly,
Diya :)

Chronicwriter said...

wow

college nostalgia at its best

:)

and that ipsy! is she single?

www.chronicwriter.com

Sumit said...

I don't blame you for the bout of nostalgia. having frequented Presi and JU to an extent during my college days, I know how it is. And you shall get the same deal in both the campuses, the scale though shall vary and of course, presi has more snobs surpassed only by xaviers.
as for losing out potential boyfriends, let them know that should you be single ever again, they can definitely try n woo you... in my opinion every girl should go through that!! i have had it from many a mares' (being politically correct :P) mouth that it always happened to be a source of entertainment (i pity the boys, knowing those ladies).

Harshita said...

Its so nice to read this post and it took me back to my college days and I was wondering why I did not make the most of it... I was so busy getting my scores right :) hehe

Amrita~Ams said...

:( :(..
it was not at all a feel gud post for me...
all the pictures of my engg days...cm before.me..:(

Mayz said...

i somehow dnt miss my college...m weird

Arv said...

this post is making me all nostalgic... I want my Uni days back...
waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

ANWESA said...

hmm..a nostalgic post..i liked it.u'v 2 dez in clg,i've 2 years!
phew!!but on a serious note,i luvd d last few lines of the post(in micro-mini font)..so much lyk me..:D

pisku said...

Big bad world? Adult world with its responsibilities and ts spiteful and vicious claws?
Who told u all this?
Its really how u choose to c it. As a child we don't have that choice but as adults we do have the maturity.
I'd say use your wit girl! Laugh and get the world to laugh.

яノςんム said...

awwwww...
sniff sniff..

i am so very nostalgic...
our hangouts was the parking :D

MultiMenon said...

U a skool kid??Oh come on,never felt it that way in the fone yest nite.. :p Ur blessed and so are ppl around you,u know??

BTW,not all engineers are good at ogling and are rowdies..!! :( :(

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


Nikhil

Priya Joyce said...

Ahhh!! :(

hmmmmm.....

Ria said...

This was such a nostalgic post tht it took me back to the good ol' school and college days!!oh i miss them so much....

Dhanya said...

College days truly rock. I miss those days :(

Jinxed Pixie said...

aha...
i doubt i'd miss my school days...
then again
i doubt i wouldn't..
but
great college JU..

Arnab Majumdar said...

College days are the best, and it's amazing how fast they fly away... but then, you do cherish all the memories that came your way during those years. Best of luck to you for the road ahead, you're confident about it, which means you're halfway there :) Cheers...

bondgal_rulz said...

Your college had a LAKE ??? :O

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hmmm interesting...

Given a chance to go back to college, you wont miss it...

In fact no one will..
Its good to know about your college days.... :)

will come up with my college days sometime..:P

Cheers..