Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Amar Kolkata

South City.. one of the biggest housing and mall projects in Kolkata
City centre.. one of the finest malls in kolkata
howrah bridge..
tanga ...
Nandan.. seat of bangalee culture..
Trams
Victoria memorial
Vidaysagar sethu

Its hot and humid
there are frequent strikes and bandhs
people are a lot unprofessional
no many opportunities here
there is smoke and dust everywhere
fewer malls and slower developments [than the rest]
water logs,
we have a 'Buddha' and a 'Didi'
we have tons that prove that we are yet to evolve.


But we are the people of the place
where hospitality comes first
where there are no racial or linguistic discrimination.
where recession or no
people forget their grief and come together for the pujas
where Christmas is as important as Durga pujas
Where there is always a smile despite the hardship
where the rich and the poor co-exist
where we get to be ourselves without any limitations.
Maybe this is why i love this place called Kolkata


A few days back i saw Anjan Dutta's Madly Bangalee...[which means Madly Bengali] Anjan Dutta is a very talented man who writes and directs his films, he composes and sings, he acts and and produces his work too. he movies are are all classics as it brings out the 'bangalee' culture in someway or the other... his recent flick is about a bangla rock band, comprising of these youth who give us a flavour of the youth of Kolkata who are very modern and cosmopolitan but who retain their bangaleeana... the flick was fun and worth a watch.. amazingly throughout it i was in tears for no reason at all and by the time it all ended, i realized just how much i am going to miss my Kolkata, a place i was born in, a place that made me who i am and a place that is integral to my identity.


[okay i know Amit is going to smirk at me...] but since the movie revolved around JU[that's my college] and the actors too are from my college and there were scenes of my college.. at the end of it i realized that i will surely miss my college.... only the campus and the ambiance and my profs not the people...


So all in all I'm terribly homesick and it just adds to my woes of shopping, socializing, no time and some really nagging people...

23 comments:

ANWESA said...

d pics filled me wid nostalgia...
n ur write-up made me emo..totally..
apna sheher,chahe jitna bhi bura ho,aakhir apna hi hota he....

ANWESA said...

me 1st after eons....

Rahul said...

cool !! :) besh bhalo hoyeche lekhata !!

Aditi..............:) said...

tumhare liye Kolkotta jo hai....mere liye wahi Mumbai hai...I am dying to go back to my own city....I know what you are feeling dear....!!

Dhanya said...

The good thing is you can always return to Kolkata when you feel like it coz you're not going away 'forever'! :)

Leaving a place you love can be hard... but who knows.. the place you're going to now will end up bringing you much more memories and in time you won't miss Kolkata as much as you thought you would....

Pallav said...

Aery yar...
sahi me..
u knw i love my city....
chalo dont feel sad..

n u knw after seeing all this pic i wanna come there once..

hugs
Pallav

Fatima said...

You won my heart with this one and brought back so many sweet and not so sweet memories of Cal! Thanks gurl!

Ria said...

this took me back to the time when i used to live in Kol.Yep dont be surprised, i hav lived there for 4 yrs!! :)

MultiMenon said...

nostalgic.... You are gonna cry now.. :I

Nikhil

Mayz said...

u still cant convince me abt kolkatta!!! na ji na!!!

Arv said...

I would see it someday... on my way to Bhutan :)

a nice city...

take care mate... cheers..

vanilla sky said...

nice writeup :)
despite all its flawas, kolkata is kolkata, the city which has made us watever we are today :)
and yes, MB is a nice film, and I liked the way it captured vignettes of the city life

Leo said...

nice... i felt like i was in kolkata! :)

nice pics phoenix..
how cn u feel homesick when u haven't reached bangalore yet?

comfortably numb said...

just can't get enough of it, for all it's faults n shortcomings n what else not, I wouldn't trade Calcutta for any other place:)
Fikr not Raka...where ever u be, Cal resides in our heart,ryt *cheer up now*

Aw.S.M said...

Hehe..y would i be smirking...crap,,yeah i am :P...hehe..bangla rock band ..LMAO!!..hehe

But on a slightly more serious note..i ve been to kolkata once and i LUVD it...the people were so helpful when i lost my way!!..its a wonderful place...and tons of bookstalls..and i luvv books...

But u dont worry re...u ll like ur new place..trust urs truly..tum raka ho re...

BUT...Bangla Rock Band!!!..HAHAHAHA

luv
amith

Harshita said...

I have heard a lot abt Kolkatta from my dad... and these pictures just add to his stories abt the place.

Nice n beautiful post, Raka.

Qi said...

Wow! I must visit it FOR sure! :)

Jinxed Pixie said...

i do admit.

calcutta's a wonderful wonderful place!
:D

Chriz said...

trams- the pride of kolkatta

Pesto Sauce said...

I would like to visit Kolkatta once

Hope you liking your new pplace

Phoenix said...

@amit

you have to hear it to belive it! im really vexed at your ignorance... no really... you have no clue as to what you are speaking about... :) :P

The Rat... said...

Now u had me all nostalgic dear


i was there only for a week.. some conference i had to attend... i still remember the way i took all d means of transport there: tram, ferry,underground metro, and even the bus...

and hello wr did u get that howrah bridges photo.. we were banned from clicking it..
i went all pains to get one i did get a magnificient shot

Kartz said...

Aamar shonaar Bangla...

You made me nostalgic. :( Ah well, thanks a bunch for that! :)

Peace. Be well.