Sunday, June 14, 2009

Leaving Home Blues...

last night, i woke up suddenly in the middle of the night. As i lay there on my bed,darkness surrounding me i could hear a rhythmic breathing somewhere near me as an arm encircled my waist. as i wriggled the arm tightened some more. i felt contended and peaceful. this time there were no complaints, i didn't mind her nuzzling me in sleep, i didn't mind that she practically kicked me out of my bed, i didn't so much as yank back the covers which she had unceremoniously taken away from me. to me these now seemed bliss.. i guess you can call this leaving home blues.

while growing up i couldn't wait to leave home. every time i was down with some problem all i wanted to do was flee somewhere. i still do at times. but now i realize just what i am going to have to give up for that. here are the things i will absolutely miss when away from home.

~kachoris... there is this halwai [snack shop] nearby and i simply love the kachori from there.. and a jalebi to add...slurp slurp... off too good yaar i simply love it... i could have the same everyday... :)

~i didn't think i was such a fish person.. okay being a bong makes me a fish person but i wasn't before..but i have become now...imagine not having..doi [curd] rui[rohu], hilsa..omg writing this post is turning out to be a food post and it is making me all hungry... :P

~all these years of staying home, and having a room all to myself, i had tons of liberties which i am going to miss when is hostel. here when i sleep i am all prim and proper but when i wake up i am a mess, my night dress rides up, my hands and legs are all over the place. i guess now i need to be prim and proper even in my sleep with 3 other girl to share the room with :) god i need a lot of practice here...

~oooooo i will miss my bed.. the soft mattress in which i almost sink in...the comforts of the bed which makes me fall asleep instantly..sigh!

~the other day i heard the dhak [sound of drum] that are played specially during the pujas.. the very sound of it heralds the pujas..and you know its a matter of time when the whole celebrations will start..those five days ..when there is no night, then sleep flees, despite the aching feet and sore eyes; people still have the energy to walk all over the city..those early morning anjali's and the evening arati's those new clothes and shoes bites..... but this year there will be none of it...i cant even imagine waking up, knowing that it is the pujas in kolkata and not be able to savour it all... god I'm feeling homesick already...

~have you ever had boiled potatoes mashed, with a little bit of ghee and salt with rice? it tastes heavenly.. its my favourite..how I'm gonna miss it..its like my staple diet here... :(

~blogging is on my mind greatly...i know i will be able to blog..but will i like get to just use a pc whenever i feel i need to pen down some? just the thought that i will be at the mercy of college computers without my brad pitt[my pc] i am feeling lost...

~no birthdays are not special for me...bt despite all that i think i am gonna miss not being around folks on that day..the panch bhaja [5 types of fries...like brinjal,potato,cauliflower etc] and the payesh [rice custard/kheer]

i thought my mood will improve as i write but i seem to get all depressed... maybe its got to do with the fact that within a month..that is 15Th July I'm supposed to leave..and my mood has gone for a toss ever since I've had it...ok this is it.. i should end the post here..i dont want to breakdown.. i hope you guys had a great weekend....tadaaa!cya later.....

27 comments:

Luscious Sealed Lips said...

I almost read 'tadaaa' as 'tadkaa'. This was one foody post.

I was expecting you to feel more hungry than depressed by the end of the post. ;)

Kisses.

Hopeless Romantic said...

i am in the same boat...my countdown has also begin..n i am nt coming back to delhi in a while ..its tough to be away but then that is hw life goes !

Amit

PULKIT said...

its been 20 odd years for me staying at home....
dancing around my room... my dad being in a transferable job, we did shift after every 3 yrs... I did lost my school frns and everyone time and again... but this time its different...
dad has got transfered to aligarh from kanpur...
I wont lose any school frns..instead I will lose one frn, who had permanently been with me ever since I was born, who was there when I was down in life... who fought with me and yet loved me like no other...
he is my bro! bhaiya has cleared judicial civil services exam and he will be shifting to his first posting in kannuaj!
this means... our house is splitting into 3 parts...(I have to stay in kanpur itself ...search for some room and complete my btech from here, 2 yrs of which remains...)
I am crying every night thinking abut the tough times I will face living alone in a flat without the million liberties that I got at home

яノςんム said...

awww.. leaving home is more than expected.. u can still count the things u r missing being still at home, and when u r away, u ll miss the things u cudnt even think of while at being home :)

but i am here to cheer u up.. babes.. ur home will be ome forever.. wen ever u come back, it willl still bne the same, cozy, warm and welcoming :)

and the new place u r going to is gonna turn out 2nd ome, dun worry :)

love!!

Pretty Me!! said...

i felt so for first time i left home .. never after that !! maybe i got haitual so soon :|

Ki said...

Poor baby!!! But you'll get habituated to it in the blink of an eye!!!

freelancer said...

i left home 3 years ago.....i missed it like hell in the beginning...but now its fine....

btw u r a bong and didn't like fish!!! lol

Hemanth Potluri said...

u will miss them in the beginning but u will get used to the new life but u will be visiting ur parents more often so dont worry :)..

urs..hemu..

rabbit said...

i am so missing my home...i have been out for a few months now but still i have not got used to this.

anyways

new posts :
http://tinyurl.com/da88qc
http://tinyurl.com/myq6ya
http://tinyurl.com/mh3zd9

MultiMenon said...

You gotta get used to dis life too gal.. :) Initially,it might be hard,but then ll supplement your world with all that I possibly can..and this time,pakka,I wont put u into a mess.. :(

Nikhil

Arv said...

awweee.... nothing beats the home life...

but tell you wat.. another new adventure awaits... and I wish you the very best :)

take care da... cheers...

NE~ISM said...

bless your heart. I know what you mean when you say missing home. I have a lot. But when you get out there on your own you are going to have a great time!!

I wish you so much luck and G-d Bless You sis!!

NE

Keshi said...

when u leave something old and dear behind, u will always appreciate it more...and u will also find something new abt ya...the strength to get accustomed to new places n things.

*HUGZ* TC :)

Keshi.

Harshita said...

No one cares about you being prim and proper in hostel and that's the best part abt it. :)

As for food, well you will for sure miss on a lot... but bangalore food is fun too... :)

As for leaving home, dont let it get too much to u... else it will get more difficult... keep urself busy and think less abt it.

Cяystal said...

Your PC's name is Brad Pitt? Lol..cuteness!
And yea, maybe if I'd go somewhere else, I'd be missing similr things, but I guess moving on is THE Thing in life..we have to move on, and in the end,forget somethings..but WAIT there's no end to rui or doi..you'll always have them made by your mommie when you're back =)..so be happy!

Pallav said...

i cannot even dream abt leaving home..
:(
i hv left only for 3 months n how difficult it was for me.. i cannot tell u..
anyways... dnt worry.. i wish bestest for u
ciya
:)
Pallav

ANWESA said...

so ur gonna miss >>kachoris
>>jalebis
>>fish
>>rice wid mashed potatoes
>>b'de tr8s
>>ur bed/matress
>>pc aka brad pitt
>>ur room
>>kolkatta durga puja
.
.
.
.
i guess d list ll b longer.
in d next post,do write wat u'll b havin in ur hostel lyf,which has eluded u till now.dat ll cure ur writer's block n u'll kno ur blessings.

Aditi..............:) said...

Hey babe...I know hometown always holds a special place in our hearts...but am sure you will write a post about Bangalore...praisig how it helped you to be independant!!! :P

Btw I ll try eating mashed potatoes with ghee and rice...:)

d gypsy! said...

u made me think of 'food' and guess what i live at a hostel too :\ not fair!!!

nyways, u'll find a lotta bloggers who have gone through the same and seriously food is one thing that we just cant help writing abt....

but u know, u may just find a lotta gud frnds, events that can change ur life as u move on...

take care...

cheers

Mayz said...

looks like its only food u r gonna miss...hmmm...blore has some good food jts n a lot of bengali restaurants...u not gonna feel away from home then :)

Priya Joyce said...

ghar se accha kahin bhi nahi...I've experienced it thru and thru...yet..I'd say..be happy wth how much of "home" u can experience at the place u r goin :)

tc

Ria said...

happens....i cant say if it will be good or bad but the experience u'll hav in Bangalore will definitely be very different.

Aw.S.M said...

oye...no getting upset and stuff!!...u r pursuing a dream yaar....all of this happens!!

Yes there is no place like home(dorothy - alice in wonderland) but u ll enjoy yourself in college too and not get all depressed like u r now coz u r gonna do wat u love. :)

Now chill!! and go eat coz u ve made me all hungry hungry!!

:)

luv
amith

Preeti said...

when we are young we all want to leave home but once we are out we long to be back there in the comfort zone !! and we have our mommies to blame ..they spoil us with all that yummy food ...

when i left home 5 years ago , i lost 8 kgs in 3 months , i refused to eat food in ofc cafe , cake , juice and maggi was my staple ...and i cudnot sleep properly as i was not used to share my room ....

but then you have reasons to cheer up girl ...i have never been in a hostel , but have heard that u can never forget ur hpstel life .later when u'll look back , they will be the most chrished memories ....

u have 1 month in hand , make best of it ...eat , sleep and hug ur parents 100 times a day ..spend time with dear friends and blog as much as u can .....can u made me miss gajar ka halwa ..we dont get good one in b'lore ...:-))

Nicks said...

Hey, my first visit to your blog! And i must tell you that you have a great blog here right from the look and feel of the blog to the content.

And as far as going away from home is concerned, I was there around 6 years back and i completely know how it feels. In fact, i still feel homesick. But trust me, there is a whole new side of you that even you are not aware of and that you will see once you are on your own. The learning, the independence, the confidence you get from getting away from home is something you will always thank time for.

All the best for everything in life!

vanilla sky said...

direct dil se :)
i'll come back to your post the day i'll have to leave Cal :(

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Raka,

Its common for eveyone who loves his/her home..

Ofcourse i miss everything that my mom cooks for me, hyderabadi panipuri which here in bangalore is worst.. jilebi, kachori and especially ice cream bricks that me and my little sis used to eat whenever i was home.

My roommate shubhodeep got a transfer to kolkatta last week. he can cook only one thing i.e aloo curry that to mashed one with ghee added.. just like you said..
i miss him now very much..

Cheers