Sunday, July 05, 2009

The Final Bus Ride


I stood at the bus stop waiting for ST6 like i have been doing for the past three years..it was the same bus stop that i stood waiting for, in loathsome anticipation of a crowded and a harrowing journey to Kalikapur. in all these years nothing had changed... not the horrible journey where i never ever got a place to sit..being squeezed in the unholiest way in order to get off the bus to my destination...it was the same black gate that i pushed to walk through the campus to reach the lift.. the same confusion regarding the floor i need to get off..the same silly tic tack toe method to guess the number and pushing the button to signal the lift to proceed.. except this was for the last time...

Nostalgic yea and greatly saddened too.. i walked with a heavy heart to my students place to whom i was teaching for one last time... it felt pretty ironic to me. 3 years back when i first rang the bell i felt i would not even last a month, having to travel so far. but in the next 3 years everything changed... my student was all of 10 then became a friend and more so a kid sister for whom i took over from a teacher and became a virtual nanny..from shopping expeditions to visit the book fair... the bond became more than just professional. and 3 years hence it felt eerie to walk away from everything that once was an integral part of my life. initially though it had been an opportunity to keep myself engaged and to earn the an extra buck.but it soon became much more than that. the love and respect i received is far more precious to me than the amount of money i earned. and i am thankful and grateful for that.

It really was an end of an era for me. leaving Barshali's tuition has been really tough because there has been several times in the past where i had contemplated leaving her due to so many issues, be it time crunch or the dreadful journey to and fro but i never made it, but now when i was happily settled it was time to say goodbye.

like Linkin Park says [thanks Leo for sharing this]

Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple Sometimes good bye's the only way ....

Now i have to go back to those early days of college where i would depend on pocket money from dad for maintenance... and i would always have to bid goodbye to the last 2 years where i had independently brought myself up...i took care of my smallest needs from cellphone recharge, to college fees, from shopping to binging.. from buying gifts to stationary i have done it all.. and i was really proud of it... but here comes a time when i will have to be dependant on another person for survival.. and its a thing which has mixed reactions from me.... :P

14 comments:

freelancer said...

oh wow....didnt know yu were already independent...kudos to yu gal.

ANWESA said...

nostalgia..nostalgia...i took a walk down my memory lanes while reading d post...

PULKIT said...

I was writing professionally on net for few months and thre chatter of those crisp 1000 rupee notes, (ony 1 or 2 i.e :P) I still linger...I use to spend money like idiots on my college frns! and mobile recharge since u mentioned was not an issue... then came jan! and just with the beginning of new year, the firm for which I was writing cracked in recession! I was 19 but still I must tell u...
I felt like the biggest crab in the world next month when I asked dad.."papa bike mein petrol bharvana hai.. 50 rupay de do pls " it was after 4 months that I have asked at home!
I felt very very weak... :(
this write up reminded me of tht! so I shared...

AD said...

i just did my write up on notalgia and here you reward me :)

Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple Sometimes good bye's the only way ....

you said it superbly my dear and that though harsh is how life has gotta be!

MultiMenon said...

I dunno..am just teary eyed reading this.. :(((( soo happy that ur ready to stand on ur own shoews but then,somethings not doing good after reading this...

Pls call me!!! :((((((

Nikhil

Dhanya said...

Financial independence is just amazing isnt it? After I started working, I refused to let my dad pay for any of my stuff.. he used to take it badly sometimes, but later on was quite happy about the same :) I can very well understand what you're going thru...

About being dependent on your father again, remember it's just for a small period of time! Before you know it, you will be earning like crazy and even getting us treats and presents ;)

Pesto Sauce said...

One chapter ends and another begins soon....

And your hair cut looks cute

Jinxed Pixie said...

where can i get a raka aka phoenix in delhi?

for inspiration, guidance, et al?

Amrita~Ams said...

hey..everything will be fine my baccha.....tc :)..

Manish said...

All I can say is superb depiction of Nostalgia.

We have to move on in life, and these period of pause, gives a lot of time to rethink, recollect and reclaim ourselves.

Make the best of it, before you start on the next journey.

All the best!!

Keshi said...

I agree..sometimes Goodbyes r the only way.

Lovely post Raka.

Keshi.

Ria said...

a very nostalgic post gurl!!i m sure u'll b fine soon. This is life, life is full of memories.

Aditi..............:) said...

Hey good to know you earned and learned till now...hats off to you sweetie...but its also fun to spend daddy's money....you can always pamper them when you earn!! :)

Wish you all the best for your fuether studies...may all your dreams come true! :)

NE~ISM said...

Raka, it is just that it breaks my heart so to say Goodbye even tho it is needed.. GOSH!!!!!!

I guess that is why I just end in Shalom and leave the Goodbyes when it is really needed!!!

Hannah