Monday, February 21, 2011

Rainy Bangalore


I had just got off from work. The clock had just struck 6.35pm. I had missed talking to him because I got late, it didn’t really matter that he had been pretty tied up himself. The air was still, dusk was still yet to fall, and as soon as I stepped on the dusty streets...drop by drop, it all came pouring down suddenly. Within moments I was soaked to my skin… with my dearest possessions: laptop, ipod, cell phone and my watch nicely tucked in my bag pack; I finally allowed myself to let the rains purge my soul. For once it felt so good, I didn’t care about worldly things, gloomy thoughts that had been clouding my mind disappeared into thin air and memories came flooding in… Rains always reminds me of rain kissed Kolkata, the headlights of taxies getting blurred when seen from the rearview windows of cars, jumping over ditches and trudging through knee deep waters with shoes in hand…

Memories of rain kissed Kolkata are really something.. Like waking up to raindrops on my window pane.... tunneling deeper in my blanket and pulling it over my eyes…avoiding… first school and then as years wore on, college… Ma bringing in coffee and settling on my bed for a chat...running to the terrace as the storm threatened to blow the laundry away...Then there was the day when I left home for Bangalore about two years back… it had rained that day too… as if nature was crying with me, dissolving my pain and fears of leaving home for the first time…

I have had the strangest fixation with rains… Rains had always captured my imagination and if you have been reading me for as long as I have been ranting in this space, you will know exactly what I mean…

Rains suit your every mood don’t they? Sometimes when you are upset, let down by the world… you find a companion in the rains…they seem to wash away the pain and fill you with renewed energy…  Sometimes it just purges your soul and makes you feel whole again. That’s exactly what happened with me today. Days of feeling as if pain will tear me apart, as if a part of me has been amputed, numb.. for once the rain filled up a void in me which I have always suspected was within me but never knew existed. So what happened? I tried something which always helped: Retail therapy. O yes! After buying a skirt, a pair of three quarters and a matching tee, a pair of shorts, a wonderful green sweatshirt, a nice cute top and a cute night dress, yesterday, yes you read it right YESTERDAY! I went ahead and got myself some lingerie!! I tell you retail therapy really works!! And at the rate I’m going I’m surely gonna land up as a pauper before my next pay check arrives and that’s just 7 days to go… : ) Jokes apart… sometimes when we smile despite the pain that weighs you down, it feels great… smiling takes effort but when you do… the soul feels liberated..just like the rains that washes the dirt off the leaves, giving them a new lease of life..

Smile and the world smiles with you…  Gnite people… let the night fairy weave beautiful dreams on those lashes… let the fatigue give away to peaceful slumber…

7 comments:

Asad said...

haah !weird but I just wrote about, well, rain. :P oh btw fb dp te besh chompa lagchis ;)

JayM said...

I'm happy to see you smiling :) Its a good sign. Keep smiling dear!!!

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

I like the rains. They are, well, so free flowing, pouring. :P :)

Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete

The Silhouette said...

Hey, Hi
Sorry for dropping by a bit late...hmmm, rain, interesting, i never yet realized what it invokes in me. a part of me loves rain, but there is another part which loathes it...
may be its just like love, when it pours you are happy and smiling, but when it stops, it leaves you wet and cold...

i donno, am kinda lost these days... :(

anyways, its good, since it did make you happy, even if it was for that moment, happiness is worth each second...

Regards,
Eon Heath...

p.s. - retail therapy works for sure, but sadly, no one gives me a paycheck!! :(

Sinner said...

ah! rains ;)

Have to meet you.. will meet u... :D :D Soon!

Anwesa said...

Nice rain drenched post :)

P.S.: Retail therapy is dangerous :P

Aditi..............:) said...

beautiful post....u echo my feeling in this one....I have a connection with rains too...love them! :-)