Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Because you loved me...

I belong to a family of 5 of which just one is a male member. I have for all of half a decade of life never been treated as a weaker sex. To be honest I never really felt being a girl child was something that is any different from being a boy. In fact when I look back I see a gangly me with unruly hair in shorts and tee playing cricket with my para (locality) boys. The only telling off I got from my parents was that I was out till late and that I needed to study and not how a girl should never wear shorts and play with boys.

It was only when I finally stepped out into the world I realized how Baba (my dad) was my first soldier. He stood between me and the world, protecting me and allowing me to have a mind of my own and to grow without a bias pulling me down. I made my own academic choices, I opted to study in a different city, since then I have moved three cities, each time I had my Baba as a silent companion who supported me throughout without any questions asked. Marriage talks and parental pressure is something that I have no clue about.

Over the years I have been lucky to have had colleagues and friends who never really made me feel that I belong to what is known as the "weaker sex". Baring a few male chauvinists that came along my way, friends, colleagues and loved ones have been a pillar of strength. They call to check on me but never impose their ideas or rules on me. As an independent working woman staying in a city of Delhi, ups the worry quotient in most but not once have i been victimized for my choice of profession, or my attire or my activates.

It is only when I come across other women who share their grievances about not being treated equally or being subject to a different set of rules I realize just how lucky I have been to have men in my life who have been like pillars of strength and like soldiers protected my right to an equal world. Be it that protective hand on my waist to propel me in a crowd, or the telephonic conversation from Baba who inquires about my well being, or that text that inquires if I reached home or that email that tells me that all I have to do when in need is to reach out. Thanks to the men in my life I know a world that is but a myth for most.

I walk tall, I live life freely, I voice my opinions strongly, I live my life by my rules, I am confident as a person and a firm believer of the innate goodness of mankind because the men in my life.

  This post is a part of #Soldierforwomen in association with BlogAdda.com

1 comment:

Shikta said...

Gosh, reminds me my childhood. I wish those carefree days were back. I have played/hassled enough young boys in my life as I was the DIDI. They had to let me participate as I was the eldest and most mischievous. Oh! My glorious days. True to yours my papa was my solider too.