Friday, June 28, 2013

When Vaidehi became Why-dahi..

My name is not Vaidehi... its Why-dahi?! ermmm okay... since then Vaidehi became 'Why-Dahi and why not chaas', a standing joke between all of us.

I first spoke to Vaidu, through Orkut when we both got through IIJNM. We decided to be roommates and in time we looped in others, Deepika (Deepu), Gayatri (Anu), Shephali (Shephu) and we were roommates. What followed was intensely long group chat conversations with all five of us till the run up to the time when we left home to build the career of our dreams. My childhood sweetheart (we were dating then) was suddenly thrown off balance, there was his girl friend who with venegence took up a course which would take her away from him, tipping their dream life. And to top it off she showed no signs of remorse or unhappiness; instead looked forward to a new life. Conversations were filled with Vaidu bought this today, you know Shephu said the Dean was a tough cookie. But there was hardly a thing he could do but watch. And then, yours truly got drunk and cried for hours in her sweethearts car just a couple of days prior to leaving home for her new life in Bangalore. When the tears subsided.. and I finally got home; the first ever drunk call and the only since then; was placed to Vaidu, "Raks sab theek ho jayega tu tension mat le... 10 months will pass by." I murmured okay and fell off to sleep. Till date I dont know why I called Vaidu, a would be room mate whom I knew, but I was not close to.

In IIJNM, we were roommates and our life was not hunky dory. We were not bum chums, we were close but yet not enough. We had our own set of friends. The nights I would be awake were the ones we would gather and talk. On our first night together, all of us talked about our boy friends, our love life and things that meant much to us. A bond was formed. There was something different about Vaidu, even though I got along with others with Vaidu it was somehow different. Our goodnight texts even though our beds were just opposite to each other. Waking up to her sleeping form. Caressing her hair on my way to the loo was our usual thing. I would get out of my shower and she would be drinking her bottle of water gearing up for the day ahead as the rest would be dead to the world. That one hour that we existed, without talking but connected. She understood that I need time in the morning to just be quiet but I liked her company, and I respected her need for her routine. She is probably the only person I would never mind running errands or doing her chores for. It was usual for her to speak to her boy friend now husband (sounds weird even to me) who was then in US as I quickly ironed my clothes and did hers too happily. No this does not mean we were close, we were attached in an unspoken way. we had the most terrible fight one day on the lamest of reasons and we laughed on it ever since! It was crazy.. i cant even remember bonding moments with her but I know we did. As the 10th month in IIJNM came to a close and it was time to bid hostel life goodbye, I found myself back in the room where it all started..all had their suitcases on the bed but this time not unpacking but packing to go away and then I looked at her scared of having to adjust without her; she smiled comfortingly it was an awful moment. As the cab pulled away I saw her standing on the driveway looking at the cab till she could see no more. It was then I realized I was leaving behind a loved one and not just a batchmate.

It has been three years since that day. I have visited Mumbai about 9 times during this period. We have kept in touch as if life depended upon it. It was only after IIJNM that we became close. I was the only soul who she made an extra effort to stay in touch. She was everything I had. I went back to her every few months to feel whole, to get some sense knocked into my head. The only one who did not judge me one bit when I broke norms, did things which even I could not imagine. There were no warm words of comfort but very direct hurtful comments which showed me light. She held my hand as I broke down, I told her things I could not admit to even myself. She saw to it that there would be someone who would show me the things that were and be there when it hit me and help me tide through it all.

Together we have seen the most terrible upheavals of life. But unlike me, she saw things through, as I screwed up and took risks; she held on with conviction. In our disagreements we found strength. Today my Vaidu long legs gets married to her childhood sweetheart. And I know what it took her to get here. She has found her happiness in Ashok who fought the world, sacrificed so much to be there for his girlfriend who has waited for him for 5 long years.. Today, as they get inked together forever, a hope lives, that dreams do come true.. today Why Dahi; becomes Mrs, Vaidehi Ashok and her friend has been unable to make it! Can anything be more crappy?

As she revels in her new found happiness, Instead of being there by her side here I am sitting in my cubicle trying to swallow the tears that threaten to spill. Vaidu, know that if I could be there I would have. Know that what we share is special. That it has stood the tests of time, it is for keeps. I may not say it often but I do love you, without you these last 4 years of my life would have been the toughest. Without you giving up on life would have been so easy. Thank you for being there and understanding me when no-one ever did... Wishing you the very best in life..Congratulations and have a very happy married life!!

No comments: